The Belfry of Bruges
The Belfry of Bruges is arguably the most famous part of
The Markt square. Taller and more impressive than any
of the other building it was founded in 1240 as a wooden
tower on a stone building. While the rest of the
square was mostly commercial with wool and fabric traders
and warehouses the building housing the Belfry was the home
of city officials who performed the important financial
functions for the city.
Some 40 years later the administrative functions were
moved to the castle after a fire in the wooden structure of
the Belfry resulted in a loss of many important documents.
Over several hundred years the building suffered multiple
fires, some from lightening striking the high tower, and it
wasn't until 1822 that the current stone tower was completed
and finally fire risk was reduced.
Today the tower holds the 47 bells designed in 1741 by
George Dum�ry and regularly chimes the hours and important
The tower is open to tourists and provides an unequaled
view over the whole of Bruges. It will be 366 large
stone steps to the top. A great view is available from
the top. Note that wire mesh protects the windows for
safety which limits visibility.
Managed by the Bruggemuseum-Belfort the Blefry is open
every day from 9:30 in the morning till 17:00 in the
afternoon. Entry fee is 8 euro for adults and free for
children number 6. Consider buying the 3 day pass to
all museum buildings for only 15 Euros.
The Markt Bruges - A definitive guide -
Getting there -