History of the Markt
The market took off all of Bruges in the 10th century many people and around
1200 became the first international fair held.
A market has been held in Bruges at least since the 10th
Century and was already famous enough by 1200 for the first
international fair to be held is the main square.
various buildings such as the great halls were built in the
early 13th century, first as wooden buildings on the south
side of the square and with wooden towers by the middle of
the century though these were repeatedly destroyed by fire
As a major trading centre for the region a canal came all
the way up to the market square from the Damme and there
were buildings called Waterhalle to house boats and provide
storage for goods. Fishmongers also used the market
square at least since 1396 before moving into their own
separate market in 1745.
With the move away of the fish trade the corn market came
into the Markt Square as well as major festivals and
competitions. As a major city square announcements of
importance were made here and public executions were also
held. Today the
Wednesday Market, the
and various concerns and musical activities are held
Given many names over the years the main square finally
was formally renamed The Markt in 1936, it was rebuilt to be
a better public space without any car parking in 1997.
The Markt Bruges - A definitive guide -
Getting there -